I love Flank Steak. It’s so lean, easy and fast to cook, it takes marinade very well. It should be thinly sliced across the grain.
The flank steak is a beef steak cut from the abdominal muscles or lower chest of the cow. The cut is common in Colombia, where it is known as sobrebarriga, literally meaning “over the belly”. A thin flank steak in South America is known as a matambre.
Two ingrediants ! So simple.
- 1 1/2 - 2 LB. Flank Steak
- 1 Bottle Italian Dressing (Gluten free) I use Wishbone
Put Flank Steak in a gallon zip lock bag. Pour in enough dressing to coat both sides. Shake bag to distribute. Marinate in fridge flat for 3-6 hours or overnight if you have the time.
Take out of bag and set on several layers of paper towels and top with another layer of paper towels. Your goal here is to get off all the extra moisture so the steak will sear and not boil in the liquid.
Pre-heat a grill pan or grill to medium high. Oil grates of pan or grill. Sear for 3-4 minutes on each side. Take off heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Slice across the grain.
- Depending on how many people you are feeding you should have enough for two meals. If not next time cook two.
- When using a grill pan you may have to cut it in half vertically so it fits in the pan.
- I always roast twice as much potatoes as I will need for the first meal. That way I have enough if I'm going to make a salad.
- Another option I didn't have a pic of - chop some of the leftover steak and potatoes and fold into scrambled eggs. Or heat the chopped steak and potatoes and top with a medium cooked pan fried egg.
First dinner – Day #1.
Second dinner – Option 1.
Third dinner – Option 2.